Speed is a valuable asset for both new construction and renovation building projects. Faster installation of ductwork and its insulation can contribute towards reducing project duration periods.
Kingspan Insulation commissioned an independent review of six UK case studies by independent consultants, Rider Levett Bucknall. The purpose of this review was to examine: insulated sheet metal ductwork and the Kingspan KoolDuct System; their relative performance with regards to speed of installation; and the benefits that this can incur.
The findings from the analysis of the effects of ductwork specification on project scheduling show that:
- Ductwork fabricated from The Kingspan KoolDuct System can be installed up to three times faster than sheet metal ductwork
- Construction periods can be reduced where ductwork is a critical path activity
- The risk and extent of time extensions on projects can be reduced
A further analysis, utilizing empirical data derived from two separate buildings owned and operated by Luther Home of Mercy, was performed by mechanical and electrical engineering services firm, MDA Engineering Inc., in the United States. The findings show that:
- The fabrication and installation of ductwork from The Kingspan KoolDuct System required only 513.75 labor man-hours compared with the construction, installation and insulation activity of the sheet steel system, which amounted to 714.75 hours
- The Kingspan KoolDuct System could provide a labor man hour saving of 28%
It is clear that, as a result of the findings described above, The Kingspan KoolDuct System should be considered the product of choice for insulated HVAC ductwork systems where speed of installation is a key requirement.