What is Solar Thermal?
Solar thermal hot water systems use the suns energy to generate heat for the water in your home. In fact solar thermal technology can provide as much as 70% of your homes hot water for the year free of charge.
Our solar thermal units are environmentally friendly and are designed specifically for Irish weather, thus they are efficient in all-weather conditions.
Using this method to heat your water can cut your energy bills by up to 60% as the energy used to heat your hot water would be generated for free, it would also reduce your carbon footprint significantly. There are many different types of Solar Panels to choose from. Our system used Kingspan Varisol Solar Thermal Vacuum Tube Collector. This is an award winning system which allows the tubes to click fit together which makes the system very flexible, and can be made fit within the space available.
Can my solar panel go anywhere in my roof?
To get the best out of your Solar Panel it should be installed facing due south; the tubes can be rated to help with less than perfect roof angles. The ideal slope for a solar hot water system is 40° at a 20° elevation.
How Does a Solar Panel work?
- The solar thermal tubes collect the energy from the sun which is then transferred to fluid in the tubes.
- Once the fluid in the tubes is hot enough it is pumped through the system to the solar cylinder.
- Coils within the solar cylinder tank receive the hot fluid and this in turn heats the water which is stored in the tank.
- The solar controls allow you to time the hot water in the tank and measure the temperature of the water.
- If the solar panels cannot collect enough energy to heat all the water a secondary system should be used such as a gas or oil boiler
- Water comes directly from the water tank to your taps, baths and showers. Enjoy solar hot water all year round.