A historic land mark in Waverton. Coal loader was operational from 1920 – 1992. In 1997 the Coal Loader site has since been declared as an open space by the NSW government and is now managed by North Sydney Council. The Coal Loader is now been developed to have an extensive roof community garden and houses a centre for Sustainability for the community.
50x 5,000 Litre Modline Tanks – Total Capacity = 250,000 litres of collected stormwater will be filtered through ‘raingardens’ established in the old coal loading chutes and stored in one of the old tunnels beneath the platform. The green roof project will include community ‘urban harvest’ plots (vegetables, fruit trees, aquaculture) irrigated by recycled stormwater, a performance space, extensive seating and viewing areas, as well as heritage interpretation of the original coal loading operations.